Links To Useful Things:
- How to Stay Mentally Healthy During Shelter-In-Place
Great article written by a MFT on how to keep your sanity in these troubled times. I like this one very much, and have printed it out and put it up on the wall in my home. Simple, actionable, thoughtful. Download the PDF here.
- Self-Myofascial Release (SMR) For cranky quads and IT bands.
Get a foam roller! Also good to help open a slumped chest or relieve a tight back. If your roller doesn’t come with instructions, try this:
Foam Roller instructions PDF.
- What’s the difference between Tendinitis and Tendinosis?
And, why is that distinction important? This explains why a cortisone injection often won’t help with your tennis elbow.
Tendinitis vs. Tendinosis PDF.
- Sudden onset of pain during or after taking antibiotics?
Certain antibiotics can cause tendon issues.
See: FDA warns that Cipro and other fluoroquinolones can cause tendon ruptures.
- Arm, Wrist and Hand Stretches:
The muscles that move your fingers, wrist and hand all originate on either side of your elbow! So, for forearm discomfort from hand overuse, try these:
• There’s an excellent sequence of stretches here. (PDF)
• This sequence designed for guitarists is also great for anyone with hand/forearm/finger issues: Essential Hand Stretches For Guitarists or Any Instrumentalist. (YouTube video)
- Hand / Fingers / Forearm Rehab Tool:
- Joel’s ‘Stolen Moment Stretching & Muscle Balancing Guide‘
Whole body approach to stretching/strengthening in a few minutes here and there throughout the day.
- NPR article “Lost Posture: Why Some Indigenous Cultures May Not Have Back Pain“.
- Magnets Speed Bone Healing? Really?
Yes, magnets can help heal wounds and heal broken bones more quickly: “The Effect of Magnetic Fields on Wound Healing“.